Sir Edward David Stern (b 17th July 1854 d 18th April 1933) was the main benefactor of Chertsey Cricket Club around the turn of the 20th century, when the club merged with Gogmore Cricket Club to become The Chertsey Cricket Club and the club we know and love today.
Born to Viscount David de Stern and Viscountess Sophia de Stern, of German descent, he was educated at Kings College London, and was part of a banking dynasty called the Stern Brothers located at 57 Gracechurch Street, London. Founded by Edward's two brothers in the 1840s, they initially had success in the Portugese finance industry, but went on to cast their net as far as the Italian, Spanish, Argentinian, and Peruvian markets also.
They went on to diversivy their business and established a supply chain of lubricating oils, naming their company Stern-Sonnenborn Oil Co Ltd. The First World War severely damaged relations with their German channels so they looked to other allies, and went on to become a British consortium aquiring interests in the Romanian oil fields.
Business continued until 1964, when the Stern Brothers wrapped up their business.
Edward Stern became our first President 1898, at this point a Major in the Berkshire Imperial Yeomanry. Stern was a prominent philanthropist in Chertsey, and gifted funds for a recreational ground in 1899, as well as Chertsey's first swimming pool. In 1904 he became the High Sheriff of Surrey and was knighted. In 1909 minutes of the annual general meeting of Chertsey CC they remarked that they were solvent hugely down to the funds Sir Edward Stern made available to the club, including money to develop the pavillion.
In 1922 Stern was made a Baronet, a title created for him in 1922. He was a keen Shire and Percheron horse breeder, and had farms nearby, at Trumps Farm in Longcross and Hersham Farm in Hersham.
He continues to have an impact in Chertsey, with not only our home ground named in his honour but also other charitable causes, such as the Sir Edward David Stern for Chertsey Nursing Association.